Information: A book and recording.
Country Style Square Dances recorded by Bing Crosby.
Allan Brozek wrote: Bing Crosby does the calling in "Welcome Stranger." Texas Star again. I think that Bing also recorded an album of square dances. Anybody know for sure?
Jim Williams, Topeka, Kansas responds: I don't know about an album. I have run across a couple of square dance-related things by Bing Crosby:
- A recording of his calling from the movie "Welcome Stranger." It's entitled "Country Style." From Decca (23849A). It says it's from the "Personality Series."
- A 1949 booklet of singing calls from Edwin H. Morris and Company in New York called "Bing Crosby's Country Style Square Dances." With Dance Calls and Directions by Grace Whitehead. It's obviously part of a series which just, I suspect, bought the rights to use Bing Crosby's name. I think this because on the back cover it lists 14 other publications such as Bing Crosby's Pick of Popular Songs, B. Crosby's Western Song Folio, BC's Favorite Hymns, BC's Irish Song Collection, etc.
- The Anniversary Waltz waltz quadrille
- Believe Me If All Those Endearing Young Charms quadrille
- Bend Down Sister heel and toe polka
- Country Style quadrille
- Iowa Corn Song quadrille
- The Man On The Flying Trapeze virginia reel
- My Blue Ridge Mountain Home Tuxedo
- The Old Grey Mare heel and toe polka
- Olk MacDonald Had A Farm tuxedo
- Papa, Won't You Dance With Me? square dance
- Reuben and Rachel quadrille
- Rory O'Moore quadrille
- The Rose of Tralee waltz quadrille
- She'll Be Comin' 'Round The Mountain good night square dance
- Sioux City Sue quadrille
- Somebody Loves You tuxedo
- Somewhere in Old Wyoming waltz quadrille
- Wearing Of The Green quadrille
- You Call Everybody Darling square dance
This page © 2018 by Ron Houston.
Please do not copy any part of this page without including this copyright notice.
Please do not copy small portions out of context.
Please do not copy large portions without permission from [Ron Houston].