This letter was mailed out to folk dancers in Los Angeles in 1948.
"The anonymous publication with all the questions and none of the answers."
- Why is it that certain VIDs (Very Important Dancers) are seen where the mediocre teachers are, but not where some foreign experts are?
- Is it true that one's mailing address is not always one's residence?
- When is the exhibition group leader going to dance in time to the music?
- What dance club ignores the existence of a noted orchestra in its own backyard? Could it be that a certain long letter to the editor fell on deff ears? Has there been any change since it was published, or have things gotten steadily worse?
- Are soap, showers, and deodorant really unknown to some dancers and/or musicians?
- Does $1.50 per person per evening help finance one's cruise to Alaska?
- Why would a dancer drive 25 or 50 miles to folk dance, yet not drive 5 miles? Is this some kind of boycott?
- Who is the non-Jewish mother hen from the "Hills" who keeps a very tight rein on her dancing offspring?
- Does Los Angeles really sport a professional folk dance company, or do they (the company) just like to think so?
- Who was being kicked around when the blonde bombshell broke her foot?
- Is folk dancing breeding mediocrity and apathy?
- Does senior mean over 55 years of age?
- Should children be allowed at folk dance events? Only if they are gagged and bound?
- Has the top-notch exhibition group of bygone years been declared legally dead?
- What dance band leader was left without an orchestra?
- Have the yacht captain and his first mate run aground?
- Why do girls hate to dance with the aggressive lawyer?
- Why do Italians teach Scandinavian dancing? Gentiles - Israeli? Jews - Balkan? Romanians - Romanian?
- Are mini-mini skirts proper dance wear?
- Is it true that a certain vivacious dancer wears no underpants?
- What ever happened to the noted Israeli's week-long seminar? Does he need a different manager?
- Which noted leader has shown sincere mis-appreciation toward the blonde aide-de-camp who worked so hard?
- Does rumor have it that the Open Circle folk dance coffeehouse is going bankrupt? Could it be the new management?
- Why did the mushroom melt? Could it be that no one really appreciates live music?
- Who appropriated the paintings off the walls?
- Are little people a hazard on the dance floor?
- Who is always conspicuously wearing costumes? Showing off?
- Why did the camp committee wait years to recognize the imported expert? Could it be that the discovery had to be made elsewhere first?
- Must the shutterbug always be photographed with the visiting dignitaries?
- What caused the break in the "professional" company's ranks?
- Must the Johnny-come-latelies always lead the dances?
- What prominent accordionist has not been seen since he ahd his brie split up? Has he since re-married?
- Have you heard that the quality of dancing at a certain school is lacking? Could it be that the artistic director is not so artistic?
- How much is folk dancing worth? 25 cents?
- Can Federation groups and folk dance coffeehouses co-exist?
- What southern group has engaged master teachers and then cancelled?
- Is this Enquirer vindictive? Malicious? Funny? Truthful?
- Is your group the center of folk dancing? The only place in existence?
- Is the new young general manager truly of managerial calibre?
- Does Horo mean manicure shop in Bulgarian?
- Are large people a nuisance on the dance floor?
- Should records be plagiarized under anonymous labels?
- Are you immune to the Enquirer?
- Do you think the next issue will name names, dates, and places?
This page © 2018 by Ron Houston.
Please do not copy any part of this page without including this copyright notice.
Please do not copy small portions out of context.
Please do not copy large portions without permission from Ron Houston.