Most of these books contain songs that occasionally contain lyrics to melodies to which folk dances are done. The rest contain lists of songs and sources for finding them.
Listing is alphabetic by author.
- André, Julie, ed. Songs from south of the border. With original Spanish text; English adapted by Albert Gamse; supervised by Enric Madriguera. Popularly revived in 1944. New York: Marks, 1946, 64 p.
- Barlow, Harold, and Morgenstern, Sam. A Dictionary of Musical Themes. New York: Crown Publishers, 1948. (ML 128 I65 B3 FAL and UGL Ref).
- [Botsford, Florence Hudson Topping], compiler of many songbooks.
- Brooks, Elston. I've Heard Those Songs Before: The Weekly Top Ten Tunes For the Past Fifty Years. 1st ed. New York: Morrow Quill Paperbacks, 1981. Chronologic week-by-week listing of the top 10 popular tunes.
- Brunnings, Florence E. Folk Song Index: A Comprehensive Guide to the Florence E. Brunnings Collection. Garland Reference Library of the Humanities v. 252. New York: Garland Publishing, Inc., 1981. [ML 128 F75 B83 FAL PCL UGL Ref]. 49,399 titles in over 1,000 books and magazines and 695 recordings.
- Cushing, Helen Grant. Children's Song Index: An Index to More Than 22,000 Songs in 189 Collections Comprising 222 Volumes. Standard Catalog Series. New York: H.W. Wilson Co., 1936. [ML 128 S3 C9 FAL Ref]. Designed as a companion to Sears.
- De Charms, Desiree, and Breed, Paul F. Songs in Collections: An Index. Detroit, Mich.: Information Service, 1966. 9,493 songs in 411 collections.
- Deutsches Liederbuch, Erste Folge. 1948.
- Ewen, David. American Popular Songs From the Revolutionary War to the Present. New York: Random House, 1966. Over 3,600 popular songs with a "promise of permanence" or historical interest.
- Gargan, William, and Sharma, Sue, eds. Find That Tune: An Index to Rock, Folk-Rock, Disco & Soul in Collections. New York: Neal-Schuman. Publishers, 1984; 2nd ed. New York: Neal-Schuman Publishers, 1988. (ML 128 R6 F56 1983 FAL and UGL Ref).
- Garnett, Lucy M. Greek Folk Songs. London: Ward, 1888. No music.
- Goodfellow, William D. Where's That Tune?: An Index to Songs in Fakebooks. Metuchen, N.J.: Scarecrow Press, 1990. An index to over 13,500 songs in 64 fakebooks.
- Hadjimanov, Vasil. Makedonski narodni pesni: Momi tikveshanki, Makedonska Kniga, Skopje, 1968. Songs from Tikvesh, Macedonia.
- Hague, E. Early. Spanish Californian Folk Songs. New York: Fischer, n.d.
- Hapgood, Isabel F. Epic Songs of Russia.
- Havlice, Patricia Pate. Popular Song Index. Metuchen, N.J.: Scarecrow Press, 1975. $59.50. Also First Supplement, 1978; Second Supplement, 1984; Third Supplement, 1989.
- Heskes, Irene. Yiddish American Popular Songs 1895 to 1950. A catalog based on the Lawrence Marwick roster of copyright entries. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, 1992. (OCLC; ML 128 J4 H49 1992 PCL).
- Heywood, Charles. Folk Songs of the World. 1966.
- Karpeles, Maud. Folk Songs of Europe. London: Novello, 1956, 268 pp.
- Karpeles, Maud. Folk Songs of Europe. New York: Oak Publications, 1964, 268 pp.
- Lax, Roger, and Frederick Smith. The Great Song Thesaurus, second edition, updated and expanded. New York: Oxford University Press, 1989, c1984. [ML 128 S3 L4 1989 FAL, PCL, and UGL Ref]. 10,000 best-known popular and/or significant songs in English-speaking countries and to cross-index the pertinent data associated with each for immediate and accessible reference. Chronological listing, elegant plagarisms, then British, Movie themes.
- Lewine, Richard, and Simon, Alfred. Songs of the Theater. New York: H.W. Wilson Co., 1984. Preceded by their: Encyclopedia of Theatre Music: A Comprehensive Listing of More Than 4000 Songs From Broadway and Hollywood, 1900-1960. New York: Random House, 1961, and Songs of the American Theater: A Comprehensive Listing of More Than 12,000 Songs, Including Selected Titles From Film and Television Productions. New York: Dodd, Mead & Co., 1973.
- Lothar von Knorr, Ernst. Deutsche Volkslieder. 1963. 168 songs.
- Lummis, C.F. Spanish Songs of Old California. Los Angeles: C.F. Lummis, 1923.
- Marais, Josef. Songs from the Veld (14 songs from South Africa). Decca A-302, 1942.
- Mattfeld, Julius. Variety Music Cavalcade 1620-1961. A Chronology of Vocal and Instrumental music popular in the United States, revised edition. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall, 1962. [ML 128 V7 M4 1962 FAL Ref (3rd ed. 1971 in PCL and UGL Ref)].
- Mexican Fiesta Album. New York: Marks, 1938, 54 p.
- MIT Folk Dance Club Songbook. Massachussetts. Created by Ira Gessel of the MIT Folk Dance Club.
- Morgenstern, Sam, and Barlow, Harold. A Dictionary of Opera and Song Themes: Including Cantatas, Oratorios, Lieder, and Art Songs, Originally Published as a Dictionary of Vocal Themes. New York: Crown Publishers, 1966, c1950. [ML 128 V7 B3 1950A FAL and PCL Ref].
- Mueller, Dr. Hans, compiler. Alte Deutsche Volkslieder. 1916
- Newmarch, Rosa. Russian Folk Songs. London: Chester, 1915.
- Oliphant, E.H. "Survey of Russian Song." In [Musical Quarterly], April 1926.
- [Organization of American States, publisher of many books about songs of the Americas.]
- Parsons, Denys. The Directory of Tunes and Musical Themes. Cambridge, England: Spencer Brown & Co., 1975. [ML 128 I65 P33 FAL Ref]. Has national anthems with music.
- Pham, S. A., Serie de Oro nr. 3. Famosas Canciones Mexicanas. 1951.
- Ralston, W.R.S. The Folk Songs of the Russian People. London: Ellis & Green, 1872. Valuable list of original Russian sources, but no songs or music.
- Read, Donald. Songs of the U.N. Singers. 1965.
- Ruibnikof, P.N. Pyesni sobrannuiya P.N. Ruibnikovuim (Songs collected by P.N. Ruibnikof). Bezonof, P.A, ed. 4 vols. Moscow, 1861-67.
- Russische Lieder. Volkslieder des Auslandes. Leipzig: Verlag von Leuchart.
- Sears, Minnie Earl, ed. Song Index: An Index to More Than 12,000 Songs in 177 Song Collections Comprising 262 Volumes. Standard Catalog Series. New York: H.W. Wilson Co., 1926. Bound with Song Index Supplement: An Index to More Than 7,000 Songs in 104 Song Collections Comprising 124 Volumes. Standard Catalog Series. New York: H.W. Wilson Co., 1934.
- Sugarman, Jane C. Engendering song : singing and subjectivity at Prespa Albanian weddings. Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 1997.
- Wier, Albert E. Songs the whole world sings, containing more than 200 songs which are dear to the hearts of young and old in every nation. New York: Broadcast Music, Inc., 1944, 254 p. (OCLC 1355605, Wier has 33 music books in OCLC other than these 2).
This page © 2018 by Ron Houston.
Please do not copy any part of this page without including this copyright notice.
Please do not copy small portions out of context.
Please do not copy large portions without permission from Ron Houston.