- American Squares, a magazine. Olson, Arvid, ed. Chicago, Il.: Dec. 1953: p.14, Heel and Toe Polka.
- J.W. Pepper's Universal Dancing Master, Prompter's Call Book and Violinist's Guide.Carpenter, Lucien O. Philadelphia, Penn.: 1882. Heel and Toe Polka, p.32, 104.
- The country dance book: the old-fashioned square dance, its history, lore, variations & its callers, complete & joyful instructions. Written by Beth Tolman and Ralph Page; illustrated with drawings by F.W.P. Tolman. Guilford, Vt.: Countryman Press, 1937; Weston, Vt.: Countryman Press, 1937; New York: Farrar & Rinehart, 1937; New York: Barnes, 1937. Heel and Toe Polka, p.33-4.
- The country dance book: the best of the early contras and squares, their history, lore, callers, tunes & joyful instructions, by Beth Tolman and Ralph Page; ill. by F.W.P. Tolman. Brattleboro, Vt.: Greene Press, 1976.
- Dances From Near and Far, vol. 1-8. Folk Dance Federation of California. Berkeley, Cal.: California Book Co., 1945-1958. Heel and Toe Polka Square, p.46, and Arkansas Heel and Toe Square, p.41.
- "Heel and Toe," in Dance Magazine, Draper, Paul. June 1955, p.84-5
- Folk games and gymnastic play for kindergarten, primary and playground. Dagny Pedersen and Neva L. Boyd. Harmonizing of music in this book by Gertrude Shoemaker. Chicago: Saul Brothers, 1914, 43 p. (score). (OCLC 4225214); FitzSimons, 1932, 43p. (OCLC 5978703, OCLC 20811891). Heel and Toe, p. 18.
- Traditional Music in America. Ford, I.W. New York: Dutton, 1940. Heel and Toe Polka, p.165, 232-3.
- Dances for a Party. Humphreys, Beatrice & Wyn. London: English Folk Dance and Song Society, 1957. 28p. Music.
- Rosin the Bow, 4:9 (4th Q, 1952, p.37: Arkansas Heel and Toe Square.
- The Round Dance Book. Shaw, Lloyd. Caldwell, Idaho: Caxton, 1948. History and instructions for more than 100 American couple dances. Has Heel and Toe Polka.
- The Art of Dancing. Sause, Judson. Chicago: 1889. The Bohemian, p.99-100.
- The Square Dance. U.S. Works Progress Administration Illinois. Chicago, 1940, p. 219-20, Heel and Toe Polka.
- Dancing. Wilson, Marguerite. Philadelphia, Penn.: 1907. Bohemienne, on p. 120-1.
This page © 2018 by Ron Houston.
Please do not copy any part of this page without including this copyright notice.
Please do not copy small portions out of context.
Please do not copy large portions without permission from Ron Houston.